Monday, March 06, 2006

Brokeback's...Broken.

Well...Maybe not. But they sure didn't win Best Picture.

I didn't watch the Oscars last night. Heck, I might as well confess. I'm almost positive that I haven't seen any of the nominated movies. There was something about last night's show that made me stay away. Perhaps I wasn't in the mood for Jon Stewart's sarcasm. Or maybe I was peeved because Desperate Housewives--or, more importantly--Grey's Anatomy--wasn't on because of last night's statuefest.

Yet for some reason, when I woke up this morning, my brain was Oscar-hungry. Who won? Tellmetellmetellme!!!

I tried the local Christian radio station, the hip-hop-rock-whateverteenswant station, and even the local adult contemporary station. No such luck.

Relief came, as usual, from a Toronto-based source. 680 News.

Apparently there was an upset at the Oscars last night. <*rolling eyes*> Brokeback Mountain didn't claim Best Pic. That honor went to Crash.

The little girl inside of me did her happy dance. If I was a betting woman, I would've been rich.

Don't misunderstand me. While I am well aware of what the Bible says about homosexuality, my line of thinking on the subject does not go to ridiculous extremes.

I was, quite frankly, tired of all of the hype. It was as though people expected Brokeback to win on its gayness alone. Quite honestly in my opinion, from all that I'd seen and heard...At the end of the day, Brokeback Mountain was about an illicit affair. Old hat in Hollywood. Meanwhile, Crash? From what I hear, Crash was a true work of innovative storytelling. A rarity in La-La Land, well worth the price of admission.

No comments: