Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Recommended Reading

The back of my copy of The Imitation of Christ states that, "After the Bible, this is the touchstone and probably the best-loved book of Christianity". I'm inclined to agree.

When I read my Bible, I am drawn in. I am overcome. And in pondering the meditations in The Immitation... I feel the same way.

On one level I cannot help feeling a sort of longing...For a distant time. Free from the constant rush of interDVDmicrocell distractions. I'm convinced that the simpler our lives get, the quieter, and the more likely it is that we will be able to hear the Lord's voice and feel his presence.

(The other night I turned my computer off early. I felt so glad. I was in the mood to meditate on my faith, and I felt no regret. Only peace.)

Most recently, I have felt the weight of these words: "If you seek comfort or gain from others you will often meet with loss. If you seek Jesus in all things, you will surely find Jesus." (76)

Jesus.

The man who is beyond men. The peace that he brings is deeper and more rewarding than any pleasure this world could ever hope to contain.

Any book that points your soul to the one who created it is a blessing indeed.

No comments: