Monday, January 16, 2006

School is supposed to be fun?

I have yet to read that post in its entirety, yet the premise--or rather, the fact that someone had the cojones to post it--intrigues me.

I don't believe for a minute that school is supposed to be One. BIG. Party. But there's nothing wrong with you (a teacher) and your kids (students) enjoying yourselves and finding fulfillment in your daily lessons.

There is one thing I can say that I learned today though.

I have nothing against long-term teachers who let their students see them smile. When you have a class of your own you will have a rapport, etc., etc.

But.

If you're a substitute teacher....I suggest you use your weapons wisely. In my everyday life, I smile quite liberally. I laugh openly. I can't help it. That's just the kind of person I am.

Meanwhile in my professional life, I've come to one conclusion:

If you smile too much or too soon, you are done. DONE, I tell you!

Or at least I was a few hours ago.

*sigh*

It's like I read or heard once somewhere: It's easier to start out strict and ease up on students than it is to start easy and then turn around and attempt to be a good disciplinarian.

No comments: