Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Midway Observations

I'm at a midpoint in my life, somewhere between school and a job. Hence the name of this post.

I've been volunteering for a non-profit. I'm about to embark on a segment of a project for which I am required to phone certain organizations and obtain information.

Recently, regarding the gathering of said information, my supervisor suggested that I lie regarding where I'm calling from. "Tell them you're a student working on a project..."

Like hell I'm a student working on a project.

Look. I know the deal.

I remember one day a few weeks ago. I went to McDonald's. (Oh. shut. up. I saw Supersize Me.)

I paid for a meal. I also paid for, and forgot an apple pie in the restaurant. It wasn't even on the counter or left on a table. The cashier hadn't given it to me.

It was a gorgeous day. I went and consumed my food on a bench on Philosopher's Walk. I was sipping my drink, when suddenly I was overtaken by a sense of terror. I clutched the bag. I looked inside. No Hot Apple Pie.

(Gah!)

I gathered my things. Headed back to Mickey-D's. Explained everything to the girl behind the counter. Less than a half a minute later...

Pie!

Moral of the story? (Because every frivolous tale has one...)

Tell the truth. Always. So long as what you want or need is legitimate, you'll probably get it. Or at the very least, get what you deserve. Even if the result isn't quite what you'd expected.

It's one of God's laws. And in this age of backstabbing, it's probably one of His best.

I know I'm stating an elementary principle. Yet I find it highly disturbing when people who are twice my age haven't figured it out...

From perhaps even before I was born, my mother instilled in me an anal-retentive fear and loathing of dishonesty.

Suffice it to say that I firmly believe that if you're working on something and you think you have to lie about your intentions, your origins...

ANYTHING...

Then whatever you're up to either

a) Isn't that fabulous to begin with...

b) Is destined to be flawed...

c) Is destined to fail...

OR

d) All of the above.

I'm very angry. To think I was fooled by this woman's talk of the Lord...Clearly Satan knows how spiritually vulnerable I am.

When God is "with [you]"--or as she implied more than once "with me" meaning with her--breaking His rules shouldn't be the first thing on your mind.

No comments: