Monday, May 10, 2004

Honestly

Is there anything decent for young people to read these days aside from the Harry Potter series? I mention Harry Potter as I don't keep up with what the young 'uns are reading these days. HP is the one I know best, at least by reputation.

But anyways...I'm starting to get concerned. I keep thinking about how worried I am, as a prospective English teacher...I remember observing kids squirming in their seats, whining and moaning...All becuase their teachers asked them to read for a few minutes. I swear, you'd have thought they'd ordered the kids to go scrub toilets.

I'm not nearly as well-read as I ought to be. (Which is shameful, considering my Lit Major background.) But I have known the pleasure of a good book.

Oh. My. God.

Saying that reminded me of watching a movie. Die Another Day??? Anyways. I could've sworn Bond mentioned having to have done without "the touch of a good woman." But I digress.

This generation that we're raising...They need something. They need a reason to read. Sure, there are plenty of books out there, but do they have any substance...?

No comments: