Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Fresh off my mind...

From one of my posts on a bulletin board. It's me, in semi-raw randomness. Some people have been complaining about having to learn "proper" English in the black community. I was an English major, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to read their comments. Someone used the "English is a bastardized language" excuse. Here's my very slightly edited reply.

English may be a bastardized language, but like it or not, it's reached a standard level that North Americans are expected to use.

And I know people were snarking when I mentioned language problems in other communities. [Why do people complain when you mention that their problems are shared by others? Is it "poor me" syndrome?] Nevertheless, I have a relevant example.

One of my ESL students used to give me a very hard time. One day, in her own broken way she asked me,"So, Ms. N, why do I have to learn English?" She wasn't naive. Rather, she was being her usual stubborn self. [Take it from me. If you'd seen her expression and heard her tone...] I politely explained to her why it was important for her to learn how to read, write, speak and understand the language. My reply was an edited version of what I thought inside: "Don't you want to be able to function properly in society? Don't you want to succeed? Don't you want to be able to get a job?"

I don't have any issues with how this woman communicated at home. In fact, I strongly support people being able to communicate in their mother tongues. I don't want people to be ashamed of their roots. And I don't believe English is a "superior" language. But complaining about having to learn "proper" English...It just seems like people are trying to get out of doing something purely because they don't feel like it.

My point?

You couldn't go to Quebec/France/Haiti, etc., and expect to get away with using your own brand of French. You'd have to use the version that was appropriate for the location. (I say "appropriate" knowing there are slight variations in French as it is used throughout the world.)

Or would you complain about having to communicate using "proper" French? [Sadly, I know there are people who would.]

I will never understand people who think that illiteracy is ok.

No comments: