Monday, May 24, 2004

All Look Same?

Visit the site, and if you have time, take the test.

I was visiting a bulletin board last week where I posted a note regarding All Look Same's subject. Someone was talking about how in TV and films, Asian actors of different backgrounds are used interchangably. I couldn't help noticing this problem as well...Which is interesting...I'm not the best person when it comes to distinguishing visuallly between different Asian ethnicities.

Nevertheless, TPTB don't seem to care if they have a person of Korean descent playing a Chinese or Japanese person, etc. Their whole mindset seems to be "Who cares, they all look the same." While on one hand some may say it's good to be represented, and people need to be thankful...I think there's something to be said for a little authenticity.

This lazy attitude regarding Asian culture says a lot to me about how quickly some folks are to generalize others. In the media, it's certainly one of our most glaring examples.

I still know people who assume that every Asian person they see is Chinese.

No comments: