Monday, May 31, 2004

The 411

It's another slow, soggy Monday. I've applied for yet another job that I may never get. I'm still getting over the shock of finding out that I can't apply for any student jobs.

For those not in the know, here's a quick explanation.

I'm over 24. Fortunately....According to the Government of Canada's rules: Their "student" status goes up to the age of 30. (Yay!) And I'm going to school in the fall. However, I wasn't in school during the past school year. (Boo!) Therefore I'm not really a student. At least not for their purposes.

Last week a young lady at the local student employment center explained this to me. Somehow I didn't believe her. I went into the general employment center. The same fact was confirmed by a different person. And because the third time's the charm, just now I phoned the Government's information hotline.

I spoke to an employee who was very sympathetic. We even discussed The Assumption: The government usually assumes that folks who have been out of school have had the opportunity to bulk up their resumes. Hence no breaks for outsiders--those like me, who are trying to worm their way back into academia.

It doesn't help me to know that a lot of student summer jobs are dream jobs. Including a sweet teaching position that's within walking distance of my house. If anyone asks, I'm in a corner, licking my wounds...

No comments: