Thursday, March 11, 2004

The Good Ol' Hockey Game

Is this justice?

I'm not much of a sports chick. I don't pay enough attention to say I'm truly a fan. I can't even remember the score of any game I've ever seen.

But what is up with the violence in hockey? Just today I heard fans on the radio saying something like, "Oh, you have to have fights @ a [hockey] game. I wouldn't watch otherwise...Heh heh heh."

Please.

I hear they're not going to outlaw fighting @ hockey games. In response to that idea, I quote some lyrics I once wrote:

"No one makes a law 'less someone dies."

Why is violence in hockey necessary?

Better yet, how? Really. I would like to see someone try and give me a legitimate reason...

I don't care to diminish the importance of the sport as a national (Canadian) pastime. But the object of hockey is simple. Get the puck in the goal. Not go beat your bro to within an inch of his life. People should be able to play without wondering if they'll finish a game in one piece.

No comments: