Monday, February 23, 2004

"I *hate* COPIERS!!"

Said this afternoon by [a relative*]. She wasn't cursing the Xerox's latest innovation. Rather, we happened upon Michael Buble performing "The Summer Wind". (He was on Cityline, and absolutely adorable.)

I couldn't resist fueling the hate. I stated that I have a Sinatra compilation, and if I played Mr. B.'s tune as we watched, he'd match Ol' Blue Eyes note for note.

I didn't say much more, because my [relative] knows from music. (Conservatory training and all that.) I know when to quit. And yet...I still want to bake Michael some brownies.

Nevertheless, our chatter brought up an interesting issue. What is it with everyone sounding like someone else? I know sometimes we can't help it. After all, we're human. We come from each other. I made a recording of myself once. Girl + guitar...I got scared that I sounded like a Joni Mitchell wannabe. (And I'm not knocking Joni. It's just that the real thing is always better.) There's been some discussion in the fametracker forums regarding artists like Alicia Keys and other Neo Soul-ites. My questions are the same as other folks': Are these singers trying to get us to reminisce? Do they genuinely appreciate the artists/genres they're mimicking?

Or are they afraid to try something new?

* The exact identity of my relative has been edited out. I've decided to not discuss my family in great detail. @ least for now.

No comments: