Monday, February 23, 2004

A-B-C/ Easy as 1-2-3/ Simple as...

Who the hell am I kidding? It's been a month, and I've been trying to teach my (ESL) student the North American alphabet. I don't know what I think I'm doing. We're not getting anywhere.

Don't worry. I'm not mad at her. It's me.

She's my first absolute beginner. I'm teaching her English literacy skills from scratch. Still I can't help feeling frustrated. I thought we would be further along than we are right now. And I know we could be. I know I could be teaching her things beyond the alphabet. Although her vocabulary skills are extremely limited, there are words that she knows, and yet...She doesn't know what they look like.

And so in many ways, it's my job to bridge the gap between the language that she already understands in one dimension, yet needs to recognize in another--the realm of reading and writing. Only then can we go beyond to focus on more difficult words.

It's a challenge that I find both intimidating and intriguing.

No comments: