Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Cartoon Chaos - And curiosity.

Please Note: I am not stupid. I do not believe for a minute that all Muslims are terrorists, evil, etc. That said, this post is looking at the group of individuals who are responsible for the current strain of violence in the East.

I just read about a pending Holocaust cartoon contest in Iran.

I find myself alarmed and horrified at the specter of such a thing. At the same time, a part of me is wondering something:

"Does the West extend freedom of expression to the crimes committed by the United States and Israel, or an event such as the Holocaust? Or is its freedom only for insulting religious sanctities?" Hamshahri wrote.

Recent events have brought up concerns about Jyllands-Posten (the Danish newspaper in question) and their cartoons of Mohammed. Some people question the Muslim people's right to be angry, citing free speech.

On one hand, I wonder why Christians have not been driven to riot in such instances. Pop culture plays with images and ideas pertaining to our Saviour almost all the time? (Most recently in the guise of Kanye West.) Yet I haven't heard of a small--or large--group of us going over the edge and endangering lives.

What is it? At the risk of not being politically correct...Is it that although some of us are fools and fanatics, many more of us have Jesus and the peace that he brings? (He has kept me from losing my mind many, many times. Seriously.) Or does it have something to do with our culture's lack of religious dedication? I've come to take it for granted that certain nations are considered "Islamic" or "Muslim". In saying so I recognize that in different regions, the religion is given more than lip service. From a distance, thanks to the media, I've learned that in places such as Saudi Arabia, Islam virtually defines the air people breathe. Abroad there may be a level of spiritual devotion (fanaticism?) that our culture lacks.

Indeed. In this post 9/11 world, the first time someone referred to the United States as a "Christian" nation...I think I laughed. Mind you, it was a "I can't believe what I'm hearing" kind of laugh. But it was a laugh none the less.

North America has to be one of the most Anti-Christian places I know. In many ways, Christianity is a part of our society. Its remnants are everywhere--from our architecture, to our holidays. Yet people think nothing of mocking Christian traditions. Months ago at the start of a Wednesday-night gathering, I remember a woman told me that someone made fun of her when she said that she was going to a Bible Study. It seems to me that other religions are respected. But Christianity? Not so much.

So...

Is that it?

Are we just used to being made fun of? Beyond the point of caring?

If North Americans strictly followed the religious traditions of our European settlers...Would we be inspired to carry out rash actions that could give Muslim militants a run for their money?

Which brings me back to my original topic.

In my head I have a list of things which no sane human being would dare make fun of. The Holocaust is definitely in the top ten. Yet some people think nothing of mocking Islam. And now, amidst needless violence, comes this ridiculous cartoon idea. Which, in spite of itself, brings to mind a question:

How sacred are our idols?

No comments: