Sunday, February 12, 2006

“Abstinence is for Virgins” aka The World Thinks Christians Don’t Have a Clue

Especially when it comes to sex.

I like glarkware. I really do. Currently I covet their "Good Grammar Costs Nothing" tee.

But one of their pieces of merchandise leaves me cold.

They have a shirt that says “Abstinence is for Virgins”.

Its accompanying write-up includes a few things which I will comment on. Keep in mind that the tone of the description is facetious…


in many parts of America, high-school students aren't even taught how sex works
Which, if it’s true, is a cause for concern.


their sex education ends with the deadly serious admonition that they not do it
until they get married (whereupon it will surely be just...awesome.)
So? Who says it won’t be? I intend to have a great sex life. In fact, I’m sure that I will. When I’m married. And what is it with this idea that people who choose to wait are doomed to have a boring bedroom life?


Abstinence-only education leads to one thing, people. No, not to a generation of
students so misinformed about sex that the rates of teen pregnancy skyrocket
When people make statements like that…I wonder what planet they’re on. (In keeping with the tone of the text, it's clear to me that the people at glarkware believe that abstinence education does lead to students being misguided, having sex without comprehending its consequences.) I would argue that the main reason for the high pregnancy rate among North American teens lies with the way sex is--or rather, isn't--taught to students. That, combined with what young people are fed by the media should be enough to cause everyone to be concerned. The prevailing idea is the idea that sex is a fun activity. And consequences, schmonsequences! ;) A properly-used condom, a few birth control pills…Prophylactics can help anyone avoid all harm! :D

Yet there is reality. A condom is not a cure-all. That information is readily available on ordinary web pages such as this one at iVillage. Not just Abstinence Education sites.

And notice what they said on that page:

Condoms make sex *safer* -- they do not make it absolutely safe...The only
surefire way to avoid sexually transmitted diseases is to avoid sex.


Back to the t-shirt. What, according to glarkware, does abstinence result in?

it leads to happy, healthy, well-adjusted virgins who don't understand how their hoo-hoos and pee-pees work, but who love the Lord.

By the time the write-up reaches it’s conclusion, it’s gotten on my last nerve. I’m a happy, healthy, well-adjusted-and-not-just-technical virgin. I know very well how my entire body works. And I love the Lord.

No comments: