Saturday, September 17, 2005

Why Blog?

It's a sunny Saturday afternoon, and rather than enjoy the splendor of my hometown, I am inside, surfing the web. I looked up--and found--several teaching jobs this morning. I applied for those which I am qualified.*

But right now I'm taking a break, wondering why it is that I blog. What compels me to expose myself online?

Something in me just simply doesn't have enough to do, it seems.

I'm alone, but not lonely, and yet...Deathly bored.

Since returning home I've only gone for a walk once. How sad is that?!

If I was back in Toronto, my legs would be sore and I'd probably be taking a nap--I'd have tired myself out from one of my typical weekend walkabouts. Through Chinatown, Yorkville, Kensington Market, and on, and on, and on...

What was I saying...Why blog?

A part of me is lonely and, IMO, wants some attention. The other part is interested in making a valid contribution, if not through teaching, then through communicating.

* Which is, if you know me, harder than it sounds. In my heart and soul I long to teach--to make a genuine, meaningful contribution to society. There's nothing like job-hunting to make me wish that I could be all things to all people, i.e. a teacher who specialized in French (which I adore) or math (which I'm deathly afraid of).

No comments: