Wednesday, June 30, 2004

This just in!

I found a great post while visiting random sass. Lately I feel the pull to become more religious. (I used to be before. Now, not so much. It's a long story.) Anyways, the webmaster, sha, said something brilliant. She was referring to a conversation with a friend of hers:

being raised in a staunch christian family, homeschooled & going to christian private schools, he has declared himself "free" of the bondage of a belief in religion. to quote him, this is what he said the first day of his world religions class when the teacher asked each student to share their opinion/perception of religion:

religion is a crutch. and that's okay. everybody has crutches, everybody has vices. it might be drinking, drugs, sex or shoplifting. or it might be religion or "faith". fact is, it's a crutch that some people choose. granted it's the best crutch, but it's still a crutch.

i didn't respond because he knows we see things differently & respects the differences, but i imagine there will be more discussions on the topic.

for now, i'm sticking with my "crutch" because i know i'm lame without it.

(emphasis added)
That's what I've come to realize. I can't do without God. I wind up pathetic when I try to live otherwise.

No comments: