Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Tolerance, schmolerance.

Oh, how I hate that word.

Tolerance.

Why is it that the only time tolerance is supposed to have a positive meaning is when it refers to interaction between people of different colors and ethnic backgrounds?

Think about it.

"I don't have to tolerate that from you, young lady!"

Or when you encounter bad treatment or service: "I'm not gonna tolerate this..."

Yet somehow, when it's used to refer to the human race, everyone's all [insert warm, sappy accent],"Ooooooh....We must learn to tolerate each other." I know it's common for the word to be used this way. But every time I encounter it in this context, I cringe.

Just now I was watching a video snippet. It featured a media figure--someone I don't care to name. Suffice it to say that apart from this utterance, I respect him. Nevertheless. He was talking about the world, how it's in turmoil, etc. And then he mentioned how people need to learn tolerance...Or how we in North America are lucky to have a relatively tolerant society.

And I was just...Like...Honey? No.

I don't want people to learn to put up with me. I want to be respected as a human being. Or hated, if you wish--but because of my personality. Not my ethnicity. No more, no less. This idea that people in the "other" category--different race, opposite sex, etc--are on par with annoying nuisances is absurd.

No comments: