Monday, April 05, 2004

On my mind.

Here's one of the posts I'd alluded to regarding all that's wrong with our world.

Terrorism and political scandals aside...

There's been a disturbing spate of missing children in the Toronto area.

Last year Cecilia Zhang went missing. The weekend before last, her body was found. Last Tuesday would have been her tenth birthday. This previous Saturday, a public memorial service was held in her honor.

Rene Charlebois' body was recently found as well. Yet the level of media coverage his story was given is stated most succinctly in a quote from this article in the Toronto Star:

"Rene was dead before most of us knew he was missing" (emphasis added)

It's terrible, but all too true. I never knew he was missing. And I like to think I manage to keep on top of these sorts of cases. If Rene was mentioned at all before his body was found, he wasn't mentioned frequently.

I have cried many times over Cecilia. However the unbalanced coverage of her and Rene's cases has me wondering: What's wrong with the media? Why is one child more newsworthy than another? In both cases, broken families and shattered lives were left behind.

No comments: