Thursday, January 22, 2004

Getting back to me...

And I am not afraid, because I will always have what God has given me. Words. And they will lead me on in wisdom, and sustain me through their love.
--me, a while ago

Lately, two of my many loves have been on my mind: teaching and writing. I'm continuing with my student. She's a wonderful lady--very sweet. Right now, though, my teaching methods are awful. I feel like I don't know what I'm doing 50% of the time. Being a newbie is terrible. Today I was trying to explain the pronunciation of simple words. One of our examples was "sow". I went beyond the "ow" sound (as in "cow"), to the possible "oh" sound--as in "tow". I also started to talk about the different meanings that "sow" can have. My student was overwhelmed. I was too. I can tell I'm moving too fast. I mean, really, when I was learning Spanish, my professors didn't shove everything down my throat all at once. What the hell am I thinking?!

On the other front, I'm getting a bit braver. I've posted mp3s at New Music Canada. I'm also going to record a few poems...It's not easy, being talented but completely unfocused. I have absolutely no attention span whatsoever. It's a wonder I made it through school!

No comments: